Roman Rehak

Issues with 2008 to R2 upgrade

I was recently upgrading a production server to R2 and it turned out to be a fairly frustrating, and in the end unsuccessful experience. This was the Standard Edition. The installer popped a message and said that the system needed to be rebooted due to some leftover files from the previous install. After I clicked OK, the install continued. Not what I would've expected. At the end I got a warning that the upgrade failed. I rebooted and examined the server, all the shared components and Management Studio were upgraded to R2, the engine and everything else remained 2008. When I ran the install after that, the rule check failed and the install wouldn't continue. This was the detailed message:

Rule "Previous Upgrade" failed. A previous upgrade that failed was detected. To retry the upgrade, remove the upgraded feature that failed, and then run the upgrade again.

It is not exactly clear what they mean by that. Browsing back in the installer, all the features that needed to be upgraded were selected and grayed out, you couldn't uncheck any of them. If they mean that you should uninstall all the features that now cannot upgrade, it is no longer upgrade, at that point you are reinstalling. And if I uninstall a 2008 feature and then reinstall it, in my opinion that would be risky because God knows how the 2008 installer will do since an R2 install was already run on the machine. So in the end, I detached the databases, scripted out the logins, uninstalled the entire SQL Server and started from scratch.

This BTW is the third time a 2008 to R2 upgrade failed at my company. I didn't do the other upgrades so I don't have the details. But as a precaution, I would highly recommend that you treat the upgrade as a potential failure, and be prepared to reinstall your SQL Server and recreate all the databases and settings.

Published Thursday, October 28, 2010 1:34 PM by roman

Comments

AaronBertrand said:

That's not good.

October 28, 2010 1:35 PM

Dan said:

Keep us posted on how this goes.  We have a SQL 2008 Std that we were thinking of upgrading to R2.  Now, not so sure...

October 28, 2010 3:42 PM

Jim said:

I have done 7 sql 2008 to 2008 r2 cluster upgrades just fine. Weird you are having so many issues.

October 28, 2010 8:56 PM

Jack Corbett said:

Hmmm.  I'm thinking about upgrading my production server to R2 from SQL Server 2005.  I wonder if there are issues there.

October 28, 2010 9:13 PM

Pete said:

Was this a default instance?  If so, I wonder if it would let you install a named instance?

Just curious.

October 28, 2010 11:31 PM

John Allman said:

I have had very positive experiences upgrading SQL2008 to SQL2008 R2 instances.  They've been both stand-alone and clustered instances.  I've done mostly default instances, but a couple were named instances.  As a matter of fact I automated the upgrades using a cmd file and configuration file.  That process has worked very well too.

October 29, 2010 8:30 PM

Dave said:

I've had 3 sucessful upgrades from 2008 to R2, but one that was originally 2005, then upgraded to 2008 failed.  I have these MSSQLSERVER.INACTIVE instances on that box I can't remove.

November 17, 2010 2:30 AM

Blake said:

I had the same thing happen this past weekend - I have a STAGING.INACTIVE instance that I can't get online again, but I can't get rid of.  Was there ever a resolution?

August 15, 2011 1:53 PM

Yassine Elouati said:

check out kb 955404 on support.microsoft.com on how to remove the inactive instance.

I've done multiple instances and the results are a mixed bag. Must say going to R2 is the most problematic I've encountered in my many years working with SQL.

If your servers are standardized, ridden of foreign apps/user interference, chances you'll be OK.

Also, careful not to run into the issue where WMI locks files during in-place upgrades.

August 19, 2011 2:37 PM

Robert Collins said:

I just had a production SQL2005 STD to SQL2008R2 STD upgrade fail. Looking in the summary log, I get the following message:

Detailed results:

Feature:                       Database Engine Services

Status:                        Failed: see logs for details

MSI status:                    Passed

Configuration status:          Failed: see details below

Configuration error code:      0x5539C151

Configuration error description: 'version' is an unexpected token. Expecting white space. Line 65, position 55.

Configuration log:             C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Setup Bootstrap\Log\20110910_160135\Detail.txt

There is very little useful information at MS (or internet for that matter) on this error. I was able to keep the 2005 Database engine running in 2005, but SSIS did upgrade and now none of the jobs tied to SSIS will run due to the compatibility issue. I haven't bee able to run a repair or anything yet due to the time constraints.

September 14, 2011 12:00 PM

Praveen Chanda said:

I too did some upgrade but never faced issues. On one system i faced a an issue and it is because of simple mistake.

There is a space in the total path of SQL setup file.

i.e.

E:\ SQL Software Dump\..\..\..\setup.exe

There is space between SQL and software and dump which is a single directory.

I removed space  and it fixed the issue.

May 9, 2012 1:40 AM