Peter DeBetta's SQL Programming Blog

Peter DeBetta's blog about programming in SQL Server using technologies such as T-SQL, .NET, CLR, C#, VB, Visual Studio, and SQL Server Management Studio.

SQL Server 2008 Leap Year Issue

Microsoft reported:

"We have recently discovered an issue with SQL Server 2008 CTPs that result in SQL Server 2008 not starting or installing on Feb 29 GMT only. We recommend that you do not run, install or upgrade this CTP on Feb 29 GMT to minimize any impact in your environment. You can install starting on March 1 GMT...."

Published Friday, February 29, 2008 11:42 AM by Peter W. DeBetta

Comments

James Luetkehoelter said:

Thanks! I very nearly got caught by this as I'm loading it on a new laptop!

February 29, 2008 1:17 PM

Denis Ruckebusch said:

Is there any additional information available regarding the nature of the problem? I am very surprised to see this is a startup/setup issue.

The first thing that came to my mind when I heard there was a leap year problem with SQL Server 2008 was that there was an issue with some of the datetime data types. I didn't even think that setup or startup could be affected by bad leap year calculations.

Also the way the issue is described it looks like it won't be a concern anymore once we roll into March 1st.

I'd love to see exactly what the issue is.

February 29, 2008 1:19 PM

Peter W. DeBetta said:

Couldn't tell you exectly what is going on, only that something is.

I haven't heard or seen any issue with the date and time types.

On a good note, earlier today I started a Virtual PC with CTP6 on it that was previously saved yesterday. Since the service was, in essence, already running, I didn't experience any issues.

February 29, 2008 1:26 PM

jerryhung said:

Mnn, not a good first impression for SQL Server 2008

please let it not be SQL 2005 SP2 mess repeat =P

February 29, 2008 3:24 PM

Denis Gobo said:

Of course I couldn't wait to see this for myself on my virtual pc  :-(

February 29, 2008 3:50 PM

Peter W. DeBetta said:

It is a CTP and not RTM. And this is why it is available for public use (AKA the ultimate QA).

February 29, 2008 3:54 PM

Geoff said:

I know the leap day has passed. But did anyone try changing the computer's date and then changing it back.

March 3, 2008 5:29 PM

About Peter W. DeBetta

Peter DeBetta works for Microsoft as an Application Platform Technology Strategist, specializing in strategies, design, implementation, and deployment of Microsoft SQL Server and .NET solutions. Peter writes courseware, articles, and books – most recently the title Introducing SQL Server 2008 from Microsoft Press. Peter speaks at conferences around the world, including TechEd, SQL PASS Community Summit, DevTeach, SQL Connections, DevWeek, and VSLive!

When Peter isn’t working, you can find him singing and playing guitar (click here to hear an original song by Peter), taking pictures, or simply enjoying life with his wife, son, and daughter.