Kevin Kline

Reading a SQL Server mini-dump

I was recently trying to diagnose some problems in one of my SQL Servers when I ran across a problem that I hadn't encountered before involving 'nonyielding worker threads'.  SQL Server also produced a dump for me to review.  Unfortunately, the dump didn't make a lot of sense to me.

If you encounter one of SQL Server's mini-dump files and want more information, you'll be happy to know that there's a lot of information on-line:

This URL is also a wealth of diagnostic and internals information that I recommend for any serious SQL Server professional.

Enjoy!

-Kev

P.S. And check out the new CD by Paramore - best alt rock CD of the year IMO.

Published Monday, November 26, 2007 7:08 PM by KKline
Filed under: ,

Comments

Denny said:

Kevin,

You forgot the post the URL.  :)

Denny

November 26, 2007 7:48 PM

KKline said:

What the heck?!?  Ok, I've corrected it.  Thanks Denny!

-Kev

November 26, 2007 7:53 PM

WesleyB said:

November 27, 2007 3:20 AM

aspiringgeek said:

When there was absolutely *no documentation* on the topic, we were plagued with intermittent &very painful 17883 errors.  Thank goodness for SQL 2000 SP4 which remedied most of these challenges.  I note that the author is Bob Dorr--that guy's great!  If it's by Bob, the article must be good.  I'm looking forward to reading it.  Thanks for sharing, Kevin.

December 15, 2007 8:27 PM

KKline said:

Thanks Wes, I'll check out WinDBG.  I don't know much about that one.

Jimmy (aspiringgeek), it's always great to see a note from you.  You're absolutely right about Bob Dorr.  I always read his stuff and seek out his sessions at the PASS conference.

Best regards,