Kalen Delaney

Did You Know? I just finished my first online seminar

I am really jazzed! The seminar was over 3.5 hours in length, and we had 3 15-20 minute breaks, during which questions just kept coming in the chat room. I barely got out to refill my coffee! But there were some great questions and a really enthusiastic audience, so I want to thank everyone who participated. I stuck around afterwards for more Q&A, so was in the chat room for almost 5 hours.  I can't wait to do it again.

I'm talking with Stephen at SSWUG about the next topics, and we'll probably be rebroadcasting this one on Index Internals and Best Practices this summer sometime.

Once I get the transcript of the chat, I'll post some additional Q&A here that I didn't get a chance to answer. I'll also post a summary of some of the most important questions.

Thanks again!

~Kalen

Published Friday, February 12, 2010 4:21 PM by Kalen Delaney

Comments

Elliott Einbinder said:

First off, i loved the seminar this morning on indexes.  Great job!  Loads of invaluable information that will definitely help us out. During the demos on the 'credit' database, you mentioned there would be a script to create the 'credit' database.  when do you think that might be available?

Regards,

Elliott Einbinder

February 12, 2010 6:44 PM

Robert L Davis said:

Congrats on a smashing success Kalen!! I'm sorry I missed it. I had planned on attending your session at SQLSaturday in Redmond last October, but I ended being a last minute replacement and ended up presenting 2 sessions instead. It was my first public presentation, and it was trully a great event!!

February 14, 2010 1:32 PM

Christina Leo said:

Thanks for doing this!!!!  I have been wanting to attend your seminar for ages now. Of course, this was just one tiny chunk of your five day workshop . . . but the format makes it easier to get budgetary approval from my boss.  I'm looking forward to the next session.

Kind regards,

Christina

February 16, 2010 8:39 AM

Rakhi Bhatia said:

Kalen, I registered but missed attending due to work related tasks. Wondering if the presentation was recorded so I could watch it.

February 18, 2010 10:13 AM

Kalen Delaney said:

Rakhi

Yes, it's available on demand for a week after the broadcast for anyone who registered. You can just go back to the link SSWUG sent you originally. In addition, there is a DVD available for purchase.

February 18, 2010 10:23 AM

Brandon Forest said:

Kalen,

I was totally bummed.  My corporate firewall blocked port 1755, so I couldn't stream the webinar.  I'll definately be purchasing the DVD when it is available.  Next time, I'll work from home to attend.  Consider using WebEx next time.  It works well piercing the corporate firewall.  You have a large and loyal following, so please plan more webinars!

Brandon_Forest@sbcglobal.net

February 18, 2010 1:31 PM

Kalen Delaney said:

Hi Brandon

I have passed your comment to SSWUG.

Thanks!

Kalen

February 18, 2010 2:42 PM

Alex Hirsch said:

Kalen, I got an impression that you only know index internals and keep on talking about them for the past 10 years on many conferences I have been to and posts I read about. Can we hope we get new coverage of other sides of SQL Server from you soon?

February 19, 2010 12:17 PM

Kalen Delaney said:

Hi Alex

Have you looked at any of my books? I do talk about a lot more than index internals. My specialties are query tuning and internals of the whole product, that is, how it is organized and how it works. At the last PASS seminar, I gave a whole day conference on the transaction log. Please look at my past blog posts. It's a bit confusing to me, if you actually do read my blog, and have ever even looked at one of my books, how you could think that index internals is _all_ that I do.

I am planning a couple more seminars with SSWUG for later this year that will be on other topics.

Thanks

Kalen

February 19, 2010 12:36 PM

Alex Hirsch said:

Hi Kalen!

Yes, I did look at the books. Frankly, their material is very close to what I can find in Books Online and MSDN.  I was hoping to get more insight information which goes beyond that common knowledge. What I find often is that SQL Server optimizer is shaky and I have to code around it to get best performance out of SQL Server, eg materialize partial result sets into a worktable, force particular join strategy etc. Yes, I am keeping my statistics up to date :)

Have you actually written or designed any enterprise level applications which would support 1000+ concurrent users and can share experience with community?

February 19, 2010 1:44 PM

Cynthia Langevin said:

Hello Kalen,

I am new to SQL Server, so please forgive the 'newbie' question. This sounds interesting and I did not know about registering for the event. How are we able to buy the DVD if we did not know about the online seminar and it is over now? I am excited to listen and get a hold of a copy. Thank you.

Cynthia

February 23, 2010 12:12 PM

Kalen Delaney said:

Hi Cynthia

I meant to have this post link to the original announcement of the seminar, which links to the registration page. So I apologize for that.

You can go to the registration page and click on the link to purchase the DVD.

Thanks!

Kalen

February 23, 2010 1:00 PM

calin oprea said:

Kalen,

ANY chance at all in purchasing your DVD and have a link available for download? Long story short: the postal services in my country are... well... leaving some space for improvement. Out of quite a few orders I had from the US (and not only), I have received 0 (as in zero) packages.

February 25, 2010 8:33 AM

Kalen Delaney said:

You'll have to contact Stephen Wynkoop through the website. I have nothing to do with making the content available or managing the site in any way. I just recorded it.

~Kalen

March 1, 2010 6:46 PM

Kalen Delaney said:

I am in Tucson again, having just recorded two more online workshops to be broadcast by SSWUG. We haven't

April 22, 2010 7:20 PM

Phani said:

Hi,

Can you please provide us a link from where we can get the video casts of the sessions that you were referring above. I am interested in going thorugh them, and I am a big fan of your sessions.

Regards,

Phani.

April 23, 2010 12:50 AM

Kalen Delaney said:

Hi Phani

At this time, you can purchase the DVD of my Index Internals session through this site: http://www.vconferenceonline.com/shows/workshops/indexing.asp

Later this summer, SSWUG will be re-broadcasting the seminar at a time when I will be online to answer questions as they come up. I will post the information here on my blog when it is available.

Thanks!