Denis Gobo

SQL Teaser Count That Trancount

Today's teaser is very simple

First create this table

CREATE TABLE #Tran (TranCountDefault int DEFAULT (@@TranCount),TranCountPassedIn int)

As you can see that table has two columns, one column has a default of @@TRANCOUNT. Now run this piece of code

DECLARE @trancount int

SELECT @trancount = @@TranCount

INSERT #Tran (TranCountPassedIn) VALUES (@trancount)

We assigned @@TRANCOUNT to the @trancount variable and we passed that in, so TranCountDefault  has the default value and TranCountPassedIn has the value we passed in

Now when you do a select from the table will the 2 columns have the same value?

SELECT * FROM #Tran

Published Thursday, February 26, 2009 5:15 PM by Denis Gobo
Filed under:

Comments

Alexander Kuznetsov said:

BRAVO!

February 26, 2009 5:50 PM

Mike Walsh said:

Interesting :-)

My answer was going to be only if you do a BEGIN TRAN before the SELECT @TRANCOUNT = @@TRANCOUNT and then it would be 1 and 1.

I tried it and I was partly right. I was anticipating a 0 in the VALUES column without the BEGIN TRAN. But I was expecting a 1 in the TranCountPassedIn column. I am still a bit puzzled there (it's been a long day ;-) )

So I was expecting 1 and 1 with a BEGIN TRAN (Or implicit Transactions on) or a 1 and 0 without Explicit Transactions on or doing a BEGIN TRAN.

February 26, 2009 8:45 PM

Jeff said:

Thanks for sharing this brain teaser... I did not expect the answer to be two for the default.  If you pass @@trancount directly into the insert the values end up being equal, and they do go up and down based on the number of begin tran/commit trans you have.

Notice that you get the same default value in the table with or without your first explicit transaction.

CREATE TABLE #Tran (id int, TranCountDefault int DEFAULT (@@TranCount),TranCountPassedIn int)

DECLARE @trancount int

SELECT @trancount = @@TranCount

INSERT #Tran (id, TranCountPassedIn) VALUES (1, @trancount)

BEGIN TRAN

SELECT @trancount = @@TranCount

INSERT #Tran (id, TranCountPassedIn) VALUES (2, @trancount)

BEGIN TRAN

SELECT @trancount = @@TranCount

INSERT #Tran (id, TranCountPassedIn) VALUES (3, @trancount)

BEGIN TRAN

SELECT @trancount = @@TranCount

INSERT #Tran (id, TranCountPassedIn) VALUES (4, @trancount)

INSERT #Tran (id, TranCountPassedIn) VALUES (5, @@TranCount)

COMMIT TRAN

INSERT #Tran (id, TranCountPassedIn) VALUES (6, @@TranCount)

COMMIT TRAN

INSERT #Tran (id, TranCountPassedIn) VALUES (7, @@TranCount)

COMMIT TRAN

INSERT #Tran (id, TranCountPassedIn) VALUES (8,@@TranCount)

SELECT * FROM #Tran

March 3, 2009 3:14 PM

Michael Zilberstein said:

Wow, zero is obvious but I expected (1, 0) - where does 2 come from?

March 8, 2009 8:24 AM