Allen White

[OT] Summa Cum Laude!

Last night I picked up my tickets for Commencement Exercises on May 11, and found out that I'll be graduating Summa Cum Laude from Baldwin-Wallace College with a Bachelors of Science Degree in Computer Information Systems.

Needless to say, I'm really pleased.

Allen

Published Thursday, May 01, 2008 10:37 AM by AllenMWhite

Comments

AllenMWhite said:

OK, the filter is changing the header and text.  I'm sorry about that, but I don't know how to fix it.

May 1, 2008 9:39 AM

Lara Rubbelke said:

Oh - those filters!  Seriously funny filter, though!  I wondered why you had ****.

Congrats on your major accomplishment!

May 1, 2008 10:26 AM

ALZDBA said:

I knew you'd be comming with good news.

The only question was how good ;)

Congratulations !

Filters and context: apparently still a big issue.

May 1, 2008 11:13 AM

Adam Machanic said:

Congrats, Allen!  And thank you for exposing the filter issue.  It's pretty humorous, and reminds me of when AOL decided, sometime in the early '90s, to ban a bunch of keywords from its message boards.  One of the words was "***".  They turned on the filter for all of two days, until they were bombarded by angry e-mails from new mothers, cancer survivors, and people trying to post chicken recipes...

I didn't even realize that we had a keyword filter turned on.  Perhaps we need to review that and maybe turn it off.  We're all adults here, and I don't think anyone is going to post something especially offensive that we can't simply delete.

May 1, 2008 12:02 PM

Paul Nielsen said:

a hearty congrats - now you'll have time to write the book we talked about!

May 1, 2008 12:09 PM

Adam Machanic said:

Are you kidding me??? Our system also filters that???

The word, by the way, is br ea st

... and I'm going to go turn off the word filters just as soon as I hit submit on this message.  Un-freaking-believable.

May 1, 2008 12:29 PM

Denis Gobo said:

First of all congratulations  w00t!

I never understood the bleeping out things from the radio and tv and censoring the internet when I first got to the states

In Holland you will hear curse words on the radio all the time, they play the (for lack of better word) dirty/explicit version of songs. Scarface on TV no problem and no bleeps either.

In Croatia they didn't even have a rating system for the movies. When I was nine me and a friend went to see the cat from outer space. That movie was sold out so we saw the exorcist instead. Now here I can see a PG 13 or 15 being useful, I remember taking the long way home because we were scared going through the woods

May 1, 2008 12:38 PM

Adam Machanic said:

OK... Testing:

Summa Cum Laude

Chicken Breast Sandwich

May 1, 2008 12:38 PM

AllenMWhite said:

Thanks everyone, and thanks Adam for turning off the filter.  I've corrected the text so it makes sense to everyone.

I'm pretty excited about finishing school (and getting started on the book, Paul!)  I hope I have time to actually watch a movie before I bury myself in the next project.

Allen

May 1, 2008 12:44 PM

Tim Mitchell said:

Congrats Allen.  What's the topic of the book you're planning?

May 1, 2008 1:26 PM

AaronBertrand said:

Denis, agreed... it is big news here when a newscaster stumbles on words like "cockpit" and ends up saying the two syllables separately... or when a sports announcer says "sh*t"... or when the guy on camera thinks they're no longer live and swears at someone.  Sometimes these people get fired; it's ridiculous.  Am I going to stop watching NBC because someone put "bukkake" in Dan Rather's script?  Howard Stern has a staff devoted to listening to and recording all kinds of media to find the rare case where someone slips up, and then they make fun of it on the radio.

May 1, 2008 2:53 PM

andyleonard said:

CONGRATULATIONS Allen!

:{> Andy

May 2, 2008 11:16 AM

RickHeiges said:

Congrats on getting a Chicken Breast Sandwich from Adam!  ;-)

May 7, 2008 9:30 AM

Trika Harms zum Spreckel said:

I'm kind of behind the times, here, but congratulations! What a great accomplishment. Great to see you in Orlando last month.

Best