Allen White

[OT] Daddy's Little Girl

Today at 4:45PM EST my daughter is getting married.

Her fiance is in the Army and will fly to Frankfurt, Germany for assignment as a Combat Engineer. They're getting married today so she can join him on base in Germany as soon as he arranges housing for the two of them. The big wedding she's always wanted will wait until next year, when they'd planned it originally, but unless they're married she can't join him. So my beautiful darling baby girl is getting married today.

I wish them the best of luck together. He's a good kid, and they adore each other.

While she was growing up I watched her in all her various activities. She was in gymnastics for a while, and Girl Scouts, and Rec Center Basketball, and something called "Odyssey of the Mind" - a kind of creative, problem-solving, improvisational competition they had for kids from about 8 to 16 years old. She would remind me of her mother in many ways, of me in many others (very scary), yet has always been a unique and wonderful individual herself.

When she was in Fifth and Sixth grades she took an interest in the special needs kids in her school, and gave up her recess time to help out in their classroom. She earned an award as the VFW's State of Ohio Volunteer of the Year when she was in middle school for the work she did. In High School she was active in Band, Orchestra, Theatre, National Honor Society, and other groups I don't remember now.

She went to college to study Special Education, never having lost that love for working with special needs kids. While in college she joined Phi Mu Sorority and actively participated in the Dance Marathon every year, which raises thousands of dollars for the Children's Miracle Network. She graduated last May with a Bachelor's Degree in Education. She's been working as a substitute this year, while her fiance was in Basic Training.

And today she's getting married, and I want to cry. I'm so proud of her.

I hope you all, like her mother and me, wish them the best for the future.

Allen

Published Thursday, January 03, 2008 9:29 AM by AllenMWhite

Comments

andyleonard said:

Allen,

Men who are not (or not yet) fathers, or fathers of daughters, may not understand the emotions of this day. Daughters transform fathers in a way that's difficult to explain and impossible to duplicate by other means. It's a "gentling" of the soul that makes us true gentlemen, a look into a side of life that gives us true sight, a reminder that we've done nothing to deserve their mothers - or them.

They're also God's revenge for our teenaged years. ;)

Congratulations are in order - to your daughter and her new husband, and to you and Mrs. White for raising such a fine young woman.

My daughters - Manda (25), Penny (23), and Emma (2) make every day Father's Day. Thanks for the reminder Allen. Thanks for sharing good sir.

:{> Andy

January 3, 2008 9:13 AM

jerryhung said:

Congrats, and best wishes to a bright future & beautiful marriage

January 3, 2008 9:23 AM

Chuck Boyce said:

Allen,

Thank you for sharing this.  You made an otherwise typical Dilbert day in IT much brighter.  God bless you and your little girl on this great day.

Chuck

January 3, 2008 11:37 AM

Paul Nielsen said:

all of life boils down to three (types of) days. births, deaths, and weddings.

January 3, 2008 11:51 AM

Cindi White said:

What a beautiful piece....it made me cry.

January 3, 2008 12:04 PM

AllenMWhite said:

Thanks, Everyone.  I appreciate your comments, and I really didn't mean to make my lovely wife cry.

Allen

January 3, 2008 1:36 PM

Adam Machanic said:

Congrats!!

January 3, 2008 1:59 PM

ALZDBA said:

This moment is not the los of a daughter, but the gain of a son !

Daddy's little girl is spreading her wings and enriching the world.

And she'll only be a webcam away once they are moved overhere.

You'll see this little tool brings the world your desk.

Congratulations to your daughter, her husband, Mrs. White and to you.

ps: today may be to hectic, but by tomorow you'll have earned that Chimay, so enjoy it. ;)

January 3, 2008 2:49 PM

Rick Heiges said:

Allen - Congrats on raising a great kid!

Cheers!

January 3, 2008 5:02 PM

Denis Gobo said:

congratulation to you and your newly extended family

January 3, 2008 5:10 PM

Madhivanan said:

Congratulations Allen

January 4, 2008 10:01 AM

Dave Kekish said:

Wow,   I remember her from when we were back at STR.  Congrats to all.

January 4, 2008 11:22 AM

Andrew Kelly said:

First off congratulations to you and your daughter. I know how you feel since my daughter got engaged the other day and will be married in June. She and her fiancé are both in the Army ROTC with him graduating this year and her next. I think giving her away will be one of the hardest things I will ever do...

January 4, 2008 3:38 PM