Adam Machanic

The Node Knows (A Month of Activity Monitoring, Part 20 of 30)

THIS CONTENT HAS BEEN MOVED HERE.

Published Wednesday, April 20, 2011 11:00 AM by Adam Machanic

Comments

Michael Codanti said:

Adam,

Thanks for Who Is Active, and the documentation you are writing, I am not only learning more about Who Is Active but SQL Server as well. (Both of which are good things.)

April 20, 2011 11:37 PM

spe109 said:

Hi Adam,

I'd just like to echo what Michael said in a previous post. Thanks for all your hard work both in writing the tool and writing this series of posts.

Thanks

Paul.

April 21, 2011 4:24 AM

Adam Machanic said:

My pleasure :-)

April 21, 2011 10:15 AM

Meher said:

Hi Adam

I am using SQL Server 2005 SP3 and I got the following error message when I ran the following in a original query window:

EXEC sp_WhoIsActive

@get_task_info = 2,

@get_plans = 1

I ran the update statement with a begin tran in the first(original) query window and in a second query window ran the Select Statement with the Row_number clause in it. Then back in the original query window I executed the sp_whoISActive.

Msg 3930, Level 16, State 1, Procedure sp_WhoIsActive, Line 3614

The current transaction cannot be committed and cannot support operations that write to the log file. Roll back the transaction.

Warning: Null value is eliminated by an aggregate or other SET operation.

Msg 3998, Level 16, State 1, Line 1

Uncommittable transaction is detected at the end of the batch. The transaction is rolled back.

Is it because I did something wrong?

Thanks

Meher

April 21, 2011 5:01 PM

Adam Machanic said:

Hi Meher,

Your transaction was killed due to an exception -- probably a timeout on getting a query plan. I don't recommend running Who is Active in the middle of a transaction; it's not designed for that.

Best,

Adam

April 21, 2011 7:37 PM

Meher said:

Hi Adam,

Thanks. That explains it why I got the error.

Regards

Meher

April 21, 2011 10:03 PM

Adam Machanic said:

This post is part 30 of a 30-part series about the Who is Active stored procedure. A new post will run

April 30, 2011 11:45 AM
New Comments to this post are disabled

About Adam Machanic