Adam Machanic

DevTeach and a Bunch of News and Links

I flew to Montreal yesterday morning for the DevTeach conference, which was pretty much a whirlwind for me--after getting to the hotel I had only a couple of hours to myself before doing two back-to-back talks (on concurrency and data access architecture), followed by a speaker dinner hosted by the conference at a great restaurant called Gibby's.  DevTeach gets my top vote for conference food! After the dinner it was back to my room to write a bit of new material for my talk this morning at 8:00 a.m.  A slightly early time slot, but I was just awake enough to not mumble too badly and I think that the audience managed to follow along even without quite enough caffeine intake. And now I'm getting ready to jump on a flight back to Boston. Quite a quick two days!

Aside from the aforementioned victuals, I only have positive praise for the rest of the conference as well.  This was my second year there (I had to miss last year due to an injury), and I was very pleasantly surprised by how much better-attended the SQL Server track was than last time I was here.  The attendees in my sessions asked some excellent questions, and I left feeling that the overall orientation towards SQL Server is much higher and better put together at DevTeach than at many other conferences that happen to include SQL Server tracks--a testament to the great work done by the conference team.

Starting this November, the conference will be going on the road to Vancouver, so if you live in that area make sure you check it out! I'm sure they'll put on another fantastic show.

In other news, Expert SQL Server 2005 Development is LIVE!!!!

It's been available on Amazon and Barnes and Noble for a couple of days, but you can now get a sample chapter and view the TOC on the Apress web site.  Go for it!

In conjunction with the release, I did an interview with the always interesting Denis the SQL Server Menace. Check that out if you'd like a bit more information on some of the material I included in the book, as well as some other questions Denis came up with.

There is also an article online that I did for CoDe Magazine, which uses some of the same examples as the book's SQLCLR design chapter. And if you want even more, I have a book extract from the chapter on Temporal data currently live on Simple-Talk.com.  And if you're in the UK and you subscribe to VSJ, you can see a book extract from another section of the Temporal data chapter, which will be published in next month's issue.

Enjoy, and thanks for reading!

Published Wednesday, May 16, 2007 10:48 AM by Adam Machanic

Comments

Eddie said:

I just wanted to add that your book is available as an ebook on the Apress website.  I have been anticipating the release of this book and had to jump on the opportunity to buy it.

After perusing the chapters, I have to say the testing chapter alone is worth the money.  Excellent book.

May 16, 2007 1:21 PM

Guy said:

Adam, I went to your presentations on Devteach Montreal, they were excellent the best I've seen in a while. I've been developing software for more than 20 years and I've seen a lot; from Device Driver Development to COM to CORBA to .NET to SOA to whatever else, but lately (last 3 years) and after having implemented a couple of propietary Database engines myself, I can say that my interest for Database engines has grown considerably.

Your sessions about effective concurrent access startegies; pessimistic, optimistic etc... and the about the DB as another "object" exposing an interface implemented via stored-procedures or views where top notch.

You are one of the few computer professionals I have encountered that can talk assertively about how things really are from a high level standpoint but at the same time are able to dive into intrincate details. The beauty of your presentations is that you move from high level to detailed with ease, and you choose exactly when to shift. Ah!!! and good common sense is always present, which is also great.

It was great, thanks again

G

May 16, 2007 10:11 PM

Adam Machanic said:

Thanks, Eddie and Guy, for the extremely kind words!  I'm glad to be sitting behind a computer, because I'm blushing!

May 17, 2007 6:45 AM

v said:

Hi Adam,

I also attended your sessions at the DevTeach. Just wanted to say that they both were excellent and exactly how I'd want all the sessions would be.

Thanks a lot!

May 18, 2007 2:47 PM

Adam Machanic said:

Thank you for attending, V!

May 22, 2007 2:13 PM